This is how to go back to iOS 12 from iPadOS 13. Apple switches the name from iOS to iPadOS and adds a ton of iPad specific features this year. If you don’t like the new options and features, or you’re running into iPadOS 13 problems, you can go back to iOS 12 for a limited time.
This process erases your iPad, removing iPadOS 13 and then installs iOS 12.4.1 on it. This is only available until Apple closes the signing for iOS 12.4.1, which will likely happen in a week or two. You can only go back to iOS 12.4.1, no further.
You need to restore a backup from iOS 12 since you will not be able to restore a backup you made on iPadOS 13. If you don’t have a backup, this means starting over from scratch, so weigh your options.
Apple will not walk you through this process in a store and doesn’t support this option, but it is easy to do and it won’t affect your support or warranty coverage.
How to Downgrade iPadOS 13 to iOS 12
This is what you need to do to go back to iOS 12 on your iPad. During the downgrade process, you will not be able to use your iPad. You need a computer to downgrade from iPadOS 13 to iOS 12, so you may need to borrow one.
After you complete this process your iPad will boot up into iOS 12.4.1 and you will be able to set up as a new device or choose an archived backup. If you are downgrading within a week of the release, you likely have a saved backup that you can revert to on your computer or in iCloud.
- Download the iOS 12.4.1 update for your iPad from this website.
- Make sure there is still a green checkmark in the Apple Signing Status column. If there is not one, do not proceed.
- Turn off Find My Device on your iPad.
– >Go to Settings -> tap on your name at the top of settings -> Tap on iCloud -> Tap on Find My -> Toggle Find My iPad off. Enter your password.
- With your iPad backed up and all the steps above completed, plug your iPad into your computer.
- Open iTunes and Click on the iPad icon.
This is how this process works if you are still on macOS Mojave or on Windows. If you’ve already upgraded to macOS Catalina, you will need to start this process in Finder. Instead of opening iTunes, open Finder and click on your iPad on the left side.
- Click on the Restore iPhone button using a special click. On Mac hold alt/option when you click and on PC hold Shift when you click.
- In the window that opens, find the iOS 12 file you just downloaded and click on it and then click open.
- Choose to erase and restore your iPad. Click Restore to begin this process
- While you wait the iPad will restart multiple times. When it is finished you will be back on iOS 12.4.1.