What you need to know
- Another weekly build is now available for the Microsoft Edge Dev channel.
- This update brings a handful of new features, along with a load of bug fixes.
- Most notably, Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 users can now use dark mode.
Microsoft continued its pace of weekly updates for the Edge Dev channel today with another new build. This latest release pushes the build number up to 126.96.36.199 and includes a load of bug fixes alongside a handful of new features.
The most prominent new feature in this update is the ability for Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 users to enable dark mode in the browser. There are also tweaks to the user experience and more tagging along in this build. Here’s a look at all of what’s new and fixed.
- Added more strings to the translation work
- Prevent IE-Mode in Application Guard containers
- Ability to set text size and background theme in Reading View is now under flag.
- Ability to use dark mode on downlevel Windows versions 7, 8 & 8.1
- Search box now clears content with Esc or “x” button
- Fixes for improved reliability:
- Fixed a crash on Extensions page.
- Fixed a crash in API keys
- Fixed a crash while opening PDFs
- Fix crash in Sync service
- Fix crash due to cached call in renderer
- Fix deadlock in Windows, where Microsoft Edge blocks shutdown.
- Fix crash in JSON parser
- Fixes for improved behavior:
- Fix preventing URL redirection in Application Guard.
- Fix to prevent creation of database until needed (performance)
- Subpage headers display the number of search results.
- Fix to close Profile UI on sign-in
- Dev Tools support using OS theme color on Windows 10
- Fix color contrast for selected favorites
- Fixed Copy / Paste keyboard shortcuts on macOS
- Fix for z-order on history page
- Fixed transparency issue on First Run Experience
- Strengthened launching logic for PDF to specified file names and paths
- Fix to show FavIcons in Favorites management page.
- Fix for account removal in Identity
- Fix for sign-in where account pop-up was not topmost window.
- Fix for data imports from Chrome and Edge during First Run experience.
If you’re already on the Dev channel, the latest build should be available as an update now. For those who have yet to try the Microsoft Edge beta, you can download either the Dev or Canary channel from the Microsoft Edge Insider site now.
Portable (and affordable) power accessories we love
Each and every one of these charging gadgets will keep your favorite gear and gadgets going for longer, and none of them costs more than $30.
This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy for more details.